Spinach Salad with Pomegranates, Toasted Almonds and Poppyseed Dressing
This Spinach Salad with Pomegranates, Toasted Almonds and Poppyseed Dressing (or some variation of it) has turned into my favorite winter salad!
I’ve been buying and eating pomegranate arils like they’re going out of style. You can find organic prepackaged arils at both Costco and Trader Joes. I’ve been using them as a topper on yogurt and oatmeal and throwing them on salads all winter long- I love the sweet, crunchy bite then lend to a green salad.
I feel like I’m little late to the game using pomegranate arils in salads. It is nothing new but it’s new to me and I wanted to share this awesome recipe none the less! It’s been on repeat in my house since mid December.
With the exception of the dressing, all the ingredients for this salad from Trader Joes- bagged baby spinach, toasted almonds, the pomegranate arils, and shaved Parmesan. I first had this salad last fall when my brother made a variation for a family gathering. He used dried cherries and cranberries but I swapped them for the less sweet pomegranates. I also decreased the sugar in his dressing.
I’ve made this using mixed greens and a baby romaine blend but spinach is still my favorite green for this. The recipe does call for toasting the almonds in a bit of butter- it’s sooooooo good- but you could easily swap that out for whatever you have on hand. Candied pecans is a great substitute, too!
I often make a big batch of the vinaigrette so the salad is super simple to put together last minute. The shallots in the vinaigrette really mellow as they sit so, if you can, make the dressing a day before you serve the salad. Add some grilled chicken and/or diced avocado and you’ve got an easy lunch or light dinner!
Can you tell I love this salad? 🙂
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A spinach salad with a poppyseed dressing, pomegranate seeds, Parmesan cheese, and toasted almonds.
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced shallots
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
For the salad:
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a mason jar or other jar with tight fitting lid, combine poppy seeds, shallots, sugar, paprika, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and oil. Put lid on tightly and shake to combine. Dressing can be made a few days ahead.
- To toast the almonds, melt the butter in a small sauté pan. Add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add sliced almonds and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from stove top and let cool completely.
- When ready to serve, toss spinach with desired amount of dressing, in a large bowl. You likely won’t need all the dressing. Use your preferred amount. Top the salad with pomegranate arils, toasted almonds, and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.