Veggie and Cheddar Egg Cups
One of my favorite, protein packed snacks are Veggie and Cheddar Egg Cups made with spinach, peppers, onions, and cheddar cheese. They make for an easy breakfast or snack on the go.
VEGGIE AND CHEDDAR EGG CUPS
Our family goes through so many eggs in a week. I hard boil them for easy snacking and we eat them most mornings for breakfasts. I find making egg muffins, or eggs cups, a nice departure from hard boiled. I pack these in kids lunches and even tuck one into my coat pocket when I’m snowboarding.
WHAT ARE THE BEST TASTING EGGS?
If you can get local, fresh eggs they will be the best tasting and most nutritious. Next best is store bought, free range eggs. Organic following closely behind that.
BEST VEGGIES FOR EGG CUPS
Any vegetables will work in egg cups. I like to chop the veggies pretty small and give them a quick sauté before folding them into the whipped eggs. Some of my favorite add-in’s are broccoli, kale, tomatoes, zucchini and asparagus.
BEST CHEESE FOR EGG CUPS
What cheese wouldn’t be good in egg cups is really the question! 🙂
Using any kind of cheese that is sharp and has a strong flavor is best so that you don’t have to use a ton. Unless, of course, you love cheese and want to use a lot. I generally go with either a a sharp cheddar or feta cheese.
MAKING EGGS CUPS AHEAD AND STORING THEM
One tip when making egg cups is to liberally grease the muffin pan. It will make getting the egg cups out so much easier! To store, let them cool completely and then store in a plastic or glass container with a tight fitting lid.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Baked Denver Omelet
Sausage and Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tacos
Baked Eggs in Marinara Sauce
photos by Deborah DeKoff/ recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks
Have a great week and thanks for reading! Happy cooking! xo, KelleyPrint
Veggie and Cheddar Egg Cups
Protein packed egg muffin recipe with spinach, red peppers, and cheddar cheese.
- 12 large eggs
- 1 tsp hot sauce, my favorite is the green Tobasco
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup packed, chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a medium saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook 1-2 minutes. Add peppers, and spinach and cook 1-2 minutes more. Season with a tiny pinch of salt. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and ground mustard. Use a whisk to beat the eggs until fully combined. Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin liberally with cooking spray. Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing to cool completely. I like to use a plastic knife to run around the edges of the muffin tin to help prevent sticking.
Swap equal amounts for your favorite veggies and cheese!
Do you add the onion, spinach, pepper mixture to the egg mixture before putting into muffin tin? Or add on top?
Mix into the egg mixture BEFORE pouring into muffin tin.
Delicious! Will have to try them out.