Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Forget that these Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are gluten free and grain free, they’re also some of the best cookies I’ve ever had. No seriously. Not overly sweet, perfectly chewy but still a little crispy, and protein packed thanks to the chia seeds and cashew butter. All reasons you can feel
good better about chowing down on these.
I have the seasonal funk. Do you get it? Every spring when the weather changes from cold to warm, I find myself not feeling myself. Does that even make sense? I know it sounds weird but it’s true. This spring it’s even more evident. Since I hurt my shoulder in the fall, I haven’t been on a consistent workout schedule and that alone is making me feel squirmy. As much as I’m still cooking for my family and a handful of clients, I’m lacking motivation to actually blog. This blog is my job and it’s totally normal to be be apathetic to your job here and there so I know this will pass. And to top things off, I haven’t been eating the best. Not bad, but just not great. All these factors have led me straight to where I’m feeling right now: funkified. And not in the feel good, get your groove on kind of funk.
I woke up last week and swore to myself that I would start moving everyday. After taking 6 months off of regular exercise, it’s time to get on the horse. I’m still dealing with my bum shoulder so it’s slow moving. The good news is that I’ve worked out everyday for the last week and a half. The bad news is my muscles are sore and my joints are stiff. Why is is so much harder to get back into shape than to fall out of it? As far as my diet it’s time to clean things up. Out with the goodies and in with the veggies. And, no, the irony that I’m positing a cookie recipe today isn’t lost on me. Baby steps, right?
In my effort to clean up my diet and focus more on a plant based diet until I’m feeling good again, you can except some healthier recipes on the blog. And if I’m a little more quiet than usual, know that I’m not going anywhere, just taking care of things on the home front so I can lose the funk and find my groove!
Cashew butter chocolate chip cookies with chia seeds.
- 1 cup cashew butter
- scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, combine cashew butter, sugar, baking soda, chia seeds and egg; mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie dough by the heaping tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies just a touch but using the bottom of a glass dip in granulated sugar (optional).
- Bake until puffy and golden about 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool entirely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. These taste best if eaten within a few days.
These cookies work beautifully as written at all altitude levels!
Recipe adapted from Completely Delicious